October is here the Fire Department has been enjoying the transition to fall weather. It was an honor to be able to participate in the 9-11 memorial event, and we will never forget the 343 firefighters that were taken from our ranks that day. Thank you to all who helped, participated, and attended that event.
We were able to have several of our newer members attend a rope rescue class taught by our in-house instructors, where they gained the skills necessary to help with rescues in confined spaces and high-angle rope rescue. More members that are trained are a welcome addition, as rescues can be extremely labor intensive and require specialized knowledge to accomplish safely.
We would also like to take this time as the weather cools to remind everyone of the importance of chimney maintenance. If you have wood or gas-fired appliances for heating, please make sure that you have working carbon monoxide detectors and that the chimney or vent pipe is cleaned and free of obstructions. Starlings, wasps, and squirrels all have an uncanny ability of making homes out of vents, which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or fire if not addressed. That’s all for now, and until next month – stay safe!