Starting a Business

Get Started

If you are getting started and not sure where to begin, the State of Idaho Department of Commerce has plenty of resources.

Business Licenses

The City of Twin Falls does not require general business licenses, however, some specific types of businesses require licenses and there are general requirements for business compliance. Please view the City Code webpage for more information.

Home-based Businesses

A home occupation may require a special use permit from the Planning and Zoning Commission. For more information, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department by calling (208) 735-7267.

State and Federal Requirements

  • Alcohol sales - Beer and wine licenses or liquor licenses from the State of Idaho Alcohol Beverage Control Department are required prior to obtaining a city or county alcohol license. For more information, please contact Alcohol Beverage Control by calling (208) 884-7060.
  • Business name registration - Any person or persons doing business in Idaho under a business name must register with the Secretary of State’s Office. For information call (208) 334-2300 or visit Idaho Biz Help.
  • Federal employers tax ID number - Every person without a previous tax number who pays wages to one or more employees or is required to file any federal reports must apply for a tax number on Form SS-4 with the IRS. Contact the IRS by calling 1 (800) 829-1040.
  • State business license / occupational licensing - A state business license may be required for some professionals or facilities such as certified public accountants, doctors, contractors or salons. For more information, please view the Idaho state website's professional licensing webpage.
  • State of Idaho Tax Commission - Every person or business selling product in Idaho should check with the State Tax Commission concerning their obligation to collect sales tax. Contact the commission by calling (208) 334-7660 or (800) 972-7660.