The Building Department’s purpose is to protect the public health, safety and welfare in all new and existing structures, residential and commercial, and on all existing premises by enforcing minimum code requirements.
Provisions of these codes relate to plumbing, electrical, mechanical, life safety and safety from fire and other hazards. Various activities of the Building Department include:
- Conducting inspections of new commercial and residential construction including, alterations, additions and detached accessory buildings
- Educating the public concerning safety, health and welfare in the building environment
- Actively supporting the City's Strategic Plan with keeping our community secure under Focus Area #3
- Issuing building and various related trade permits
- Processing of permit applications for all types of construction
- Providing assistance to developers, contractors and citizens relating to building code requirements
- Regulating the occupancy of existing structures and premises and helps to evaluate requirements based on use and occupancy type
- Reviewing of commercial and residential construction plans
Current Building Plan Review Timelines
The current review timelines assume that the plans/details and submittal package is complete and accurate.
Incomplete submittals will not start the review process, and the submittal package will not be submitted for review until such time complete and accurate submittal requirements have been received.
Be aware that commercial submittals are reviewed by four departments. Revised submittals will not be accepted until all four reviewers have completed their initial review.
Inspections Will Not Occur On City Observed Holidays
1.15.2024 – Martin Luther King Day
2.19.2024 – Presidents Day
5.27.2024 – Memorial Day
6.19.2024 – Juneteenth
7.4.2024 – Independence Day
9.2.2024 – Labor Day
11.11.2024 – Veteran’s Day
11.28 and 11.29.2024 – Thanksgiving Day
12.24 and 12.25.2024 – Christmas
1.1.2024 — New Year’s Day 2024