Citizen Services
Click to Home
Go To Search
Emergency Notification - Off
People Serving People
Animals inside the City limits
Permits for farm stock and fowl
City residents are required to obtain a permit to keep horses, mules, donkeys, cows, sheep, goats or rabbits (more than three), or any other animals except dogs cats or other animals kept inside a residence or place of business. Contact Code Enforcement Coordinator, Sean Standley, 735-7278, for more information.

You can get a permit at City Hall. These are the rules:
  • To have rabbits or fowl, the applicant must have at least 5,000 square feet of property for each 25 fowl or for more than three up to 25 rabbits. In addition, the applicant must have a rabbit run or enclosure located no closer than 40 feet from a neighbor’s dwelling.
  • To keep one cow, one horse, one sheep or one goat, or any other animals except dogs and cats, the applicant must have at least one acre of property and at least ten thousand (10,000) square feet of real property or pasture land devoted exclusively for the use of each animal. Fences enclosing such animals must be constructed so as to prevent the animals from going upon the property of adjoining property owners in any manner whatsoever.
  • You must also have approval from the City Sanitation Inspector.
  • Animal locations, structures, pens, corrals and any other premises or structure used for the keeping of horses, cows, sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, doves and pigeons or any other animals must be kept in clean and sanitary conditions, free from obnoxious odors and substances. All animals shall be kept confined. Animals or fowl can’t create a disturbance to the residents in the particular locality by creating any noise, odor or damage to the adjacent property.
  • For the purpose of selling, loading and shipping any horses, cows, pigs, hogs, goats, sheep or chickens, it shall be lawful to keep the same in loading pens provided for said purpose, but no such animals shall be kept in such pens within the corporate limits of the city for a period of more than 36 hours except by written permission of the Sanitation Inspector.