News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/16/2018 11:11:30 AM to 5/6/2018 12:00:03 AM.

News Flash

Public Safety News

Posted on: April 16, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Twin Falls Fire Department Responds to Structure Fire

The Twin Falls Fire Department responded to a small structure fire at approximately 5 a.m. Monday, April 16 at the intersection of Filer Avenue and Fillmore Street.

When firefighters arrived at the scene they found heavy fire and smoke coming from a detached two-car garage on the 700 block of Filer Avenue. Three engine crews with a total of 11 personnel responded to the fire, which was brought under control at 5:21 a.m.

Damage to the structure is believed to be estimated at about $15,000, and there was some damage to a neighboring garage. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is still being determined by the Twin Falls Fire Marshal.

Fire Safety Tip: 

As more people raise backyard chickens, pigs, and other small animals, use of heat lamps is on the rise. Lamps are an efficient way to keep small critters warm, but as with any electrical appliance or heat source, they need to be used carefully. Please remember the following:

* Respect the bail: Heat lamps have a wire case around the bulb called the "bail." It keeps flammable material away from the bulb. Choose a lamp with a sturdy bail, and never remove or alter it.

* Buy good equipment: Good-quality heat lamps are UL approved, with ceramic collars, metal deflectors, and a thick electrical cord.

* Ask an expert about bulb strength and height: Lamps range from 25 watts to 250 watts and usually hang from rods or chains at various heights. The combination you need depends on what animals you are warming. Don't guess. Find an expert on your animals and find out for certain.

* Electrical smarts: Plug your heat lamp into an AFCI or GFCI-equipped outlet that can handle its wattage, and keep it sheltered from water.

* Out of sight: Try to avoid using the lamp overnight or when you can't monitor it, and make sure there is a working smoke detector nearby.
Facebook Twitter Email