Citizen Services
Click to Home
Go To Search
Emergency Notification - Off
People Serving People
April

Recently the Fire Department has responded to a few carbon monoxide calls, so we thought that it might be a good idea to pass on a little information. Carbon monoxide or CO is a tasteless, odorless gas and is a byproduct of incomplete combustion of natural gas and other material containing carbon, such as gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, and wood. Exposure to CO can result in headache, dizziness, weakness, confusion, nausea, and unconsciousness at higher levels.  A person can succumb to CO poisoning quite quickly if not removed to fresh air at the onset of symptoms. CO is measured in parts per million and can be fatal if exposed to just 400 parts per million after 3 hours of exposure and death in just 2 minutes at levels of 12,800 parts per million. Luckily there are detectors readily available to alert you of even a slight rise in CO levels in your home or business.  Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in homes or businesses with a gas burning appliance(water heater, stove top, fireplace, furnace),coal or oil burning furnace, wood burning stove or fire place, and those that have an attached garage or shop. CO detectors are fairly inexpensive and easy to install by simply plugging into an electrical outlet or mounting to the wall or ceiling. If your CO alarm activates immediately leave the building or residence and call 911. Do not attempt to open windows or doors to let fresh air in, let us arrive locate the source and provide you with a proper course of action to mitigate the issue. If you don’t have a detector yet and your home or business has one or more of the criteria items, it’s strongly recommended that you purchase one. It could save your life or the life of your loved ones.

Well the sun is shining and you don't have to scrape your car windows in the morning, well at least not every morning, so I guess that means Spring is here. Spring means cleanup time and if you plan to do some cleanup burning and you live in the Twin Falls city limits, come into Station 1, downtown, and get yourself a required burn permit. Burn permits are free of charge, good from January 1st to December 31st, and explain the rules for burning within the city limits. Remember: "When in doubt, put it out."

The fire boys have accepted a challenge to “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes”. This event is put on by Voices Against Violence, formerly the Crisis Center of the Magic Valley. The purpose of this event is to bring awareness to the prevalence of sexual assault and gender based violence in our community. Individuals and Teams of Men are joining in to walk a mile around CSI campus wearing women’s heels. So if you’re not busy on April 22nd at 1:00 p.m. and want to see some firefighters in heels, come have a laugh at our expense. Also if anyone has a men size 15 heel that we could borrow, let us know. No promises that the shoes will be returned in the same condition they were received.

Well, that's about it for this month. Until next time, don't forget to wave to the guys in the BRT.